We can offer a comprehensive fully insured installation service.

Our aim is to complete as much work as possible off-site, simplifying the installation. Our installation teams are highly experienced, and we understand the need for the work to be quick, quiet, clean and safe with the minimum disruption.

All of our installation teams have PASMA and IPAF certificates for working at height and always adhere to our company Health & Safety procedures. We are members of the Safe Contractors Accreditation Scheme and are fully conversant with the recent DDA requirements.

Do I Need Planning Permission For A Noticeboard?

A church noticeboard is an ‘advertisement’ for the purposes of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990. In principle, therefore, the erection of a board accordingly requires consent under the Town and Country Planning (Control of Advertisements) Regulations 2007.

However, deemed consent is automatically granted by Regulation 6 for various advertisements in categories in Schedule 3 to the 2007 Regulations. These include (in Class 2C) signs relating to various religious, cultural and other institutions, including churches, which are therefore permitted without more ado – but only provided that certain limitations are complied with.

The maximum size of a sign granted deemed consent under this Class is 1.2 sq m – for example 1 m by 1.2 m – but this may be smaller than the principal sign outside a large city- centre church, which would thus require express consent.

No character, letter or symbol within it may be higher than 75 cm (or 30 cm in an area of special control over advertising), and no part of the advertisement may be more than 4.6 m above ground level (or 3.6 m in an area of special control).

In general, only one sign is allowed for each church – which may be anywhere on the premises. However, where a church has more than one entrance (for example, where it is at the junction between two streets) there may be up to two such signs, each complying with the above limitations – but each must be at an entrance.

In other cases, express consent would be required from the local planning authority (although where this is required the authority cannot control the wording of the sign but only its appearance, colour size etc).

In practice, authorities sometimes waive the requirement for express consent to be obtained for signs that exceed the relevant size limits, provided that they are suitable in all the circumstances of the particular case. However, to display a sign that has neither deemed consent (for example because it is too large) nor express consent is a criminal offence, and the planning authority has powers to bring about its removal. On the other hand an authority is, at least in theory, entitled to withdraw the deemed consent for a particular sign if it considers it offensive.

Note that there is no ‘ecclesiastical exemption’ from the need for consent under the Advertisements Regulations, although some planning authorities seem to think that there is.

For more information, call us on 01539 628309.